When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. – Maya Angelou
As the meeting was nearing its merciful end, they told me I could reschedule in a few weeks for another meeting and that they could see a use for my services. Ha! Now, why would I want to do that? Did they think I was desperate for work or a glutton for punishment? Did they, even for a moment, consider that I might not want to work with them? No.
Fun fact one of the perks of running your own show is that you get to choose who gets on stage.Click to tweet
- Can they afford your services?
- Are they aggressive or condescending? Don’t make excuses for their behavior it won’t change.
- Do they understand you work with them, not for them?
- Do they respect and value what you bring to the table?
- Do they understand and respect your culture?
- What are their priorities? If money is their primary concern, they may never be satisfied.
- Are they willing to follow your process?
- Do they resemble your perfect client?
- Does the work excite you?
- BONUS: Would you still want to work with them if you weren’t being paid?